Outreach Team for the Elderly
1. Build a supporting network among the residents, encourage them to help one another, promote role transition of the residents to become our outreach ambassadors and organizing home visits.
2. Invite people with diverse backgrounds to become outreach ambassadors and pay regular home visits to the singleton elders, elderly couples or hidden elders.
3. Doctors and medical students help raising the awareness on disease prevention and healthy living among the elders. "Tutorial session" will also be arranged specifically for physically inconvenient students of the Academy.
4. Doctors and medical students help identifying elders with potential health and living problems and refer them to suitable medical or social service units.
5. Festivals may create mental stress to the singleton elders. The outreach ambassadors will pay visits and send gifts to the elders prior to seasonal festivals so as to extend our care to them. We hope the elders can feel the care from the outreach ambassadors and neighborhood in order to enhance their sense of existence and self-esteem.
6. Promote the concept of respect and care for the elders, and inter-generational harmony.
7. Encourage outreach ambassadors to arrange individuals or small group visits and make regular phone call to the elders.
Project Period: January 2017 - October 2018
Composition of the Outreach Team:
Medical doctors with their family members, medical students, secondary school students, elderly volunteers and residents living in Hing Wah Estate I & II.
(Groups of outreach ambassadors and their matched elders will remain unchanged)
Home Visit Schedule and Number of Visits:
Saturday afternoons (Special arrangement can be made for outreach ambassadors who can only join the visits on weekdays)
Number of visits:
• A maximum of 26 home visits will be arranged.
•Each team will be paired up with 2 to 3 singleton elders, elderly couples or hidden elders.
•Each household visit lasts about 1 hour.